Note from the editors: This story first appeared on The Penny Hoarder.
We understand if you’re fed up with your bathroom.You promised yourself when you moved in that you’d do something about it.However, money, time, and hassle all became obstacles that began to pile up.
According to Home Depot, the average total bathroom remodel costs between 5000 and 10000 for a half-bath, also known as a powder room, 14000 and 20000 for a guest bathroom, and 30000 and up for a master bathroom.
These costs cover everything from replacing the faucet, toilet, and vanity to laying new tile and installing a new bathtub.
But what if you could update a portion of your bathroom for a fraction of the cost of a full remodel? What if a quick do-it-yourself project could make you fall in love with your bathroom all over again?
Even if you don’t have a large budget for a bathroom remodel, we promise it’s possible.
Here are a few cost-effective tiers of our best bathroom ideas, ranging from budget DIY to larger projects.
How to Make Your Bathroom 100 Percent New
Invest in new towel racks for a quick burst of color or a pop of modernism.
These low-cost hand and shower towel accessories can make a big difference.
On Amazon, you’ll find options ranging from $25 to $100, as well as more expensive options at Fergusons Build.comDon’t worry if they don’t match your plumbing fixtures if you go with trendy gold or matte black.Mixed metals are popular right now.
- In dated bathrooms, a dated sink faucet (along with dated fixtures) is common.We’ve been in that situation before.On the other hand, a well-made faucet that functions and matches your new towel racks can significantly improve your quality of life.
- It’s possible that fluorescent bathroom lighting makes you dread looking in the mirror.Warm bulbs in a warm fixture that resembles natural light, on the other hand, are enough to make you smile while brushing your teeth in the morning.
- Try a new mirror if you want to see your reflection even better.Etsy has some unique handmade items.Entering your bathroom has just become a whole lot more interesting.
- If your mirror isn’t the first thing you see when you wake up, it could be your shower curtain.Here’s an idea: replace it with a new one.
How to Make a $500 Bathroom Makeover
Shutterstock Images of Monkey Business
A new paint color and a fresh coat of paint can transform a drab space.If you want to paint your bathroom wall or cabinet doors, let your imagination run wild.
Consider painting just one section of a wall to serve as a focal point.With this simple task, you can save money by changing the design of your bathroom.
- It’s relatively easy to replace a toilet if you’re having trouble flushing it.Options start at $100 at Home Depot, and installation shouldn’t be too expensive.Your old plumbing fixtures will vanish into obscurity.
- A sleek model in a color that matches your new towel bars and plumbing fixtures can be a great idea if you’re tired of cleaning the grime off of those shower doors.A modern sliding barn shower door is one of our favorites.Bring a little rustic farmhouse charm into your own home.
- It’s called peel-and-stick wallpaper for a reason.The look of your bathroom walls will never be the same again.Wallpapering a powder room is a simple way to create a beautiful bathroom on a budget.Chasing Paper’s tropical option is one of our favorites.
- Painting tile is a difficult task, but it can completely transform the look of your bathroom flooring and walls without requiring a complete bathroom renovation.This Old House’s helpful primer will show you how to get the job done – and do it well.
Don’t DIY and end up regretting it if you do some renovations yourself.Consider our recommendations for when to hire a professional.
How to Make a 750 Dollar Bathroom Makeover
Shutterstock user sima
If your bathroom has old tile, it’s likely that the grout is also old and grungy.One way to avoid this is to re-grout your tiles.Consider changing the grout color to brighten up the room.True Value has a thorough guide on the subject.
- A tub, like a toilet, is a plumbing fixture that may be less expensive than you think.A new tub can be bought from a store like Home Depot.It will be more expensive to remove and replace a tub, but it will almost certainly be worth it, especially if your home already has an original tub.
- We can’t stress the importance of new hardware enough.This is a small detail that can make your cabinet doors and vanity cabinet stand out.Try a fun color like gold or antique brass, just like with towel bars.Although hardware may appear to be inexpensive in isolation, matching your hardware across the board is the best bet, so budget accordingly.
- Instead of an above-the-mirror light fixture, how about a sconce on either side of your mirror? This will provide more natural light and additional light fixtures by your bathroom vanity.This can really up the ante in a small bathroom, and in a powder room, it can transform your space from a functional bathroom to something that looks like a high-end remodel.
- You’ve probably heard of solid hardwood flooring.But what about solid hardwood ceilings? One DIYer did it, and we think their efforts paid off handsomely.Perhaps we should all think about other uses for wooden floors now.
How to Make a 1000 Dollar Bathroom Makeover
Investing in a new vanity can modernize your bathroom without incurring the full cost of a bathroom remodel.Vanities are typically available in a range of standard sizes, so take measurements before purchasing a new piece.
Combining an unexpected color with a unique countertop is a great way to make a statement.When calculating prices on websites, keep in mind that the base price is usually just for the cabinetry.The cost of the countertops will be added on top of that.
- Changing out all of your plumbing fixtures is a great way to update your color scheme without having to buy new furniture.You can begin by using a bright color as a starting point.Second, you might be able to save money on your water bill by upgrading to more energy-efficient fixtures.Big box stores carry a variety of well-known plumbing brands such as Moen, Kohler, and Delta.If you go with a more vibrant color than a standard like matte black, make sure the faucet and shower trim are from the same manufacturer.Each brand has a distinct color that is easily distinguishable.
- You won’t be able to retile your entire bathroom for $1,000, but why not add expensive tile to one wall for a splash of color? We love these ideas from Tile Outlets of America.Consider using porcelain bricks, stone, or intriguing ledgers that run the length of the wall.
- You’ve probably hated that old tile floor for a long time.But what if you could replace just the flooring for a fraction of the cost of a bathroom remodel? It’s not impossible – just watch these videos.A wood laminate floor is a budget-friendly option that mimics the look of hardwood flooring without the cost.
- Finally, if you can’t afford a new vanity but love your cabinetry, consider a new countertop. Perhaps there’s a marble piece or a vibrant stone you’ve been eyeing.It’s now or never.Purchasing a slab of stone wholesale from a quarry or a supplier is the simplest way to get the best price.
The information you’ll find on this site is always objective.However, we may be compensated if you click on links within our stories.